The FieldComm Group was established by HART Communication Foundation and the former Fieldbus Foundation in the year 2015. The mission of this organisation is to bring about a global digital transformation in industrial automation. This is done by creating a unified process automation model of field devices that offers multi-vendor interoperability. Their major focus is on developing FDI (Field Device Integration) technology.
Why FDI Device Integration are Required for Industries?
The common components of FDI are EDD Engine and UI Engine. These engines follow a multiprotocol approach to provide support PROFIBUS, HART, PROFINET, and FF. Backward compatibility with the binary formats of EDDL is also supported. The UI engine builds a device-specific user interface based on the device description. Also, it is independent of communication protocols, which allows you to integrate device protocols effectively and simultaneously for easy interoperability.
FDI comm server or FDI communication server serves as a platform to integrate external communication systems with the FDI host system. The connectivity is built using FDI specific OPC UA services. This system allows the addition of any proprietary protocol to the host system for effective interoperability of devices.
Industries benefit from FDI device integration in many ways.
Benefits for the device manufacturers:
- Create only one FDI Device Package per device for integration for any standard FDI host system. This reduces cost and effort
- Achieve scalability to meet emerging requirements
Benefits for the control system manufacturers:
- Achieve seamless device to host interoperability
- A single system can support legacy EDD as well as the FDI packages
- Compatible with multiple communication protocols including Foundation Fieldbus, Profibus, ISA 100, PROFINET, HART, etc.,
- User interface loads automatically based on device description, eliminating the need for client-side installation.
- Enable central data management for transparent and unified management
- The client-server architecture enables efficient use of device data and functions
Benefits for the end-users:
- A comprehensive package that includes a device-centric user interface, documentation, and DD
- Easy to catalog
- File names are easy to understand
- Digital certificates for added security
Field Device Integration Services Provided by Utthunga
At Utthunga, we have deep knowledge and experience with Field Device Integration technology. If you are looking for a reliable and valuable device integration partner, we are a perfect choice. We have served several device OEMs in developing class apart FDI migration strategies and device package development for control instruments like actuator, positioners etc. or measurement instruments like flow, temperature, level transmitters. The FDI services that we offer include:
FDI Development Services
- FDI Host Development
- FDI Device Package Development, Maintenance and Certification
- FDI Communication Server Development
- UIP Development and Maintenance
FDI Consultation Services
- FDI Technology Specification Consultation
- Troubleshooting and support for FDI Package Certification related issues
Why Utthunga for FDI Field Device Integration?
We blend our deep understanding of automation/operations technologies and ready-to-use frameworks to provide end-to-end solutions to run operations & maintenance effectively and efficiently.
- 300+ Device Integration solutions
- 15+ Fortune 500 customers
- Android and Linux FDI CHC SDK provider
- The first company to develop the FDI CHC based Android App
- One-stop solution for all Device Integration needs
- Part of various Special Interest Groups (technical specifications, architecture, test & certification and marketing)
- Involved in reference application architecture, design and development
- 5 products in the market using our DPI framework
- Technology outsourcing partner