EtherNet/IPTM is an open application protocol to extend data transfer from the plant floor to an enterprise network via the internet. As an essential part of the CIP application protocol (Common Industrial Protocol), it is widely accepted to provide communication capabilities for diverse automation applications including supervisory control, monitoring, motion & synchronization, information and network management.
The EtherNet/IP protocol transfers two kinds of messages to and from the systems and provides connectivity for operator interfaces on the plant floor. They are Explicit Messages (need basis and asynchronous information) and I/O Messages (continuously transferred data messages). This message transfer is initiated using the object oriented architecture which enables reusability of the same objects and device profiles. Thereby ensuring plug-and-play interoperability among multiple devices from different vendors operating in multiple sub-networks.
The Industrial Ethernet Association (IEA), Industrial Open Ethernet Association (IOANA), ControlNet International (CI), and the Open DeviceNet Vendor Association (ODVA) support and promote the EtherNet/IP protocol.
How EtherNet/IP is Complementing Industrial Networking
The networking and communication requirements of a factory floor are different. Here real-time data access from embedded systems, operator workstations and I/O devices is essential for correct information to be communicated to perform a specific operation. Rising infrastructure requirements for connectivity, switches, cabling and other components; HMI’s for enterprise applications and other limiting factors are additional reasons for EtherNet/IP’s growing acceptance in the industrial environment. EtherNet/IP has entered the factory floor due to its inherent interoperability, simplified configuration, integration, scalability and high speed data transmission rates.
EtherNet/IP Services Provided by Utthunga
Utthunga’s EtherNet/IP offering includes integrating and/or migrating Utthunga’s EtherNet/IP scanner stack to the platform of choice. Our protocol experts are well acquainted and experienced with the evolving EtherNet/IP protocol to provide quality implementation services. Businesses can leverage our end-to-end capabilities right from analysis and design to implementation, testing, certification and maintenance of the EtherNet/IP enabled devices.
Few Benefits of EtherNet/IP Integration
- Supports plug and-play interoperability among complex devices from multiple vendors
- Provides users with both explicit (information) and implicit (control) messaging services that is essential in control and device-level networks
- Improve operational efficiency through effective utilization of intelligent device data
- Provide diagnostic, device and process data for product or process performance
- Increase system availability and asset productivity
- Improve regulatory compliance through independent V&V and pre-compliance testing
Utthunga’s EtherNet/IP stack features:
- Supports all objects according to CIP Standard
- Supports applications objects like DLR, QOS
- Adaptor Class functionality:
- UCMM (unconnected) Message Server
- Class 3 (connected) Message Server
- Class 1 (connected) I/O Server
- No dynamic memory or thread allocation. Only one thread is utilized.
- Stack Source is ‘C’ code for portability.
- Stack is tested with ODVA CT16.
Utthunga’s EtherNet/IP Stack Capabilities
EtherNet/IP protocol uses the proven CIP for communication on standard Ethernet for communication. We have proved our capabilities in the below areas of EtherNet/IP master stack and slave stack implementations.
- Developed platform agnostic EtherNet/IP communication driver stack as per the standard
- Integrated EtherNet/IP stack with different products based on FDT, OPC etc.
- Developed EtherNet/IP adapter stack (slave stack) which supports DLR network topology and is certified by ODVA
- Successfully ported the stack to ARM v7 platform with DLR enabled devices. This included EtherNet/IP firmware development and OPC UA along with EtherNet/IP embedded development services based on customer devices. It was certified by obtaining ODVA’s Declaration of Conformity (DOC) for the device with DLR
Benefits of Utthunga’s EtherNet/IP Stack
Some of the key benefits customers globally have achieved using our EtherNet/IP stack and integration services:
- Reduced product development/maintenance costs by up to 40%
- Accelerated time to market
- Cost effective solution with better RoI
- Achieve platform and vendor independence for full interoperability
We add value to your EtherNet/IP implementation on the factory floor. With Utthunga, successfully build, test and deploy your EtherNet/IP enabled products that meets your manufacturing customer’s needs. Whether its proper network configuration or having the right skilled engineers to support your implementation, you have reached the right place. EtherNet/IP implementation is no longer a challenge when you engage with us. Get in touch now!