IEC 61850 is an international standard for information exchange between IEDs (Intelligent Electronic Device) and high-level devices (such as SCADAs) over Ethernet at electrical substations. The standard defines and maps the MMS protocol (Manufacturing Message Specification) on TCP/IP for read configuration, read/write data, and exchange files. The object-oriented standard represents each physical device on the network as an object consisting of logical devices (LD), logical nodes (LN), data objects (DO) and data attributes (DA). IEC 61850 allows standardization of each object’s name and the access to each of the objects. Having a standardized nomenclature structure and common abbreviations in place, enables each of the physical devices to be identified intuitively by the engineers.
Utthunga is one of the leading technology service providers with deep expertise in building integrated and interoperable systems. We have deep understanding of the IEC 61850 protocol standard (especially MMS). Our expert services include seamless migration from conventional or legacy automation systems to IEC 61850 based SAS (substation automation system).
Why IEC 61850 MMS or IEC 61850 Protocol stack is required for Industries?
IEC 61850 is a universal solution to engineer a fully digital solution for power utility automation. The standard addresses three levels in the substations:
- Process level: Includes various devices like the current transformers, voltage transformers, relays, circuit breakers, switch devices etc.
- Bay level: Includes the IEDs that are basically relays that are capable of taking decisions based on logic & information collected from the process level devices.
- Station level: Contains SCADA & HMIs used to control & monitor the substations.
The major reasons to adopt IEC 61850 are:
- The communication backbone of IEC 61850 is Ethernet, which enables faster data transfer. It also allows huge chunks of data to be transmitted with faster responses
- It is an object-oriented protocol with a standardized nomenclature structure. Plus, it has common abbreviations. So, the software can immediately detect and identify the points with the IEDs
- IEC 61850 has zero recovery time
- It has a Parallel Redundancy Protocol, which sends two copies of a data unit in two different paths. So, even if one path fails, the data can be transmitted through the other path
IEC 61850 Protocol Services Provided by Utthunga
Utthunga’s IEC 61850 MMS based stack allows for a quick and cost effective way to enable private and secure conversation between the IEDs and SCADA or the substation automation system (SAS) in the bay level and station level of the substations. The stack is compliant to IEC 61850-8-1 specification, which deals with mappings to Manufacturing Message Specification (MMS).
The power and utilities OEMs can leverage MMS protocol to provide a secure and easy data exchange between the IEDs. We offer a robust protocol stack and flexible licensing models.
- The address format is standardized as it follows object model
- Parser to import the IED/ICD files to load the data model
- Supports read and write services for logical nodes
- Easy and secure data exchange
- Stack implementation with OPC
- Supported Operating Systems: Windows (7/ 8/ 8.1/10) Windows Server (2012 /2008 R2)